The Church of the Madeleine

   The Church of the Madeleine was 
   built from 1807 to 1845 by 
   Pierre Vignon. It marks the 
   northern end of Place de la 
   Concorde. The choice of this 
   rectangular, Greco-Roman temple 
   with a peristyle of Corinthian 
   columns was made by Napoleon 
   himself. Napoleon also 
   authorized the layout of the 
   surrounding square, the Place de 
   la Madeleine, in 1808.