Gal*rie des Machines

   A handful of the larger 
   buildings were built to serve 
   more than one exhibition. They 
   were commissioned by a state 
   body, the Higher Commission for 
   International Exhibitions, and 
   all built by French architects.  
   Some were innovative, such as 
   the Gal*rie des Machines of 
   1889. This sublime metal 
   structure was built by architect 
   Ferdinand Dutert. Although these 
   buildings got to last after the 
   exhibition, their influence is 
   limited because, like many of 
   the other massive monuments of 
   post-1850 Paris, they were 
   treated as exceptions by local 
   architects, but rarely examples 
   to be emulated. This building 
   was demolished in 1910.