St. George Cathedral. Covered icon of Our Lady Mary.
20th c Ethiopian Ethiopian Orthodox Painting
Addis Ababa. Ethiopia.
Icons were covered as marks of respect and were only displayed at special times. The icon is based on the Madonna of San Luca from Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome, and image popularized by the Jesuits who brought reproductions of it to Ethiopia in the 1570s. This copy was possibly imported from Italy.
ETHIOPIAN | St. George Cathedral. Covered icon of Our Lady Mary. | c. 1900-2000 | Ethiopian | Ethiopian Orthodox
Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolio
This object is a member of the following portfolios: