Great Mosque of Damascus. Courtyard.
8th c Syrian Umayyad Architecture
(661 - 1031)
5000 cm x 12200 cm
The conversion of one sacred space into another can be seen in the Great Mosque of Damascus, which was built in the early 8th century on the site of the earlier Roman Temple of Jupiter. A sacred space like this is known as a "temenos." The prayer hall was actually the converted Christian church of St. John, which had itself been built on the site of the Temple of Jupiter.
You can see the old Roman stonework in the arcades along one side of the square, stonework which has been faced with marble slabs by the Moslem builders. It is thought that the square base of the minaret was modeled on Roman military watch towers. The upper section of the minaret was added at a later time.
UMAYYAD | Great Mosque. Courtyard. | Umayyad | Islamic
Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolio
This object is a member of the following portfolios: