Great Mosque of Damascus. Courtyard & transept.
8th c Syrian Umayyad Architecture
(661 - 1031)
This is an exterior view of the Prayer Hall of the Great Mosque in Damascus which was converted from the Christian church of St. John. You can see the fountain in the center of the court with the faithful washing before entering the building to pray. An additional minaret is visible in the background. Notice also, the flat surfaces of the volumes of the building. The dome is not original, but was constructed after one of the many fires that almost consumed the building. Its style, with its pointed arches, is quite different from the round Roman arches seen in the rest of the building.
An important aspect of the Great Mosque of Damascus are the mosaics which still decorate many of its exterior surfaces. Although many have been lost and those remaining have been restored at various times, still exude the splendor of the original building.
UMAYYAD | Great Mosque of Damascus. Courtyard & transept. | 708-715 | Islamic | Umayyad
Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolio
This object is a member of the following portfolios: